What Happens To My Baby At The Second Trimester Of Pregnancy
During the second trimester, your baby’s development increases as your uterus also expands.
- Between week 14 to week 16, your baby learns how to suck and swallow as well as roll, flip and kick. At this point, you can begin to feel your baby kick.
- Between week 17 to 20, your baby’s body becomes coated with vernix, a greasy substance that protects your baby’s skin.
- At 22 weeks, your baby begins to develop brows and some tiny hair also sprout out.
- At 23 weeks, your baby’s ears are fully formed and functional. So you can begin to talk, sing and play some music for your baby.
- At 27 weeks, your baby learns how to smile.
At the end of the second trimester, your baby is fully developed with hands, fingernails, hair, brain, heart, digestive system and all parts of the body fully in place. You can also find out the sex of your baby through an ultrasound scan from 18 weeks.