Low Blood Pressure or Hypotension
Low Blood Pressure which is medically referred to as Hypotension can be an indication of good health and the proper functioning of the heart. However, it can also be a signal to an implicit medical condition requiring urgent attention. Low Blood Pressure occurs when your blood pressure readings are lower than 90 mmHg systolic pressure (i.e. the number that tells the amount of pressure in your blood vessel when your heart muscle contracts, it is usually written on top) and 60 mmHg diastolic pressure (i.e. the amount of pressure in your blood vessel when your heart muscle relaxes between beats, it is usually written below). The Symptoms of low blood pressure includes; Lightheadedness, Nausea, Fainting and Blurry vision.
Conditions Associated With Low Blood Pressure
Although the cause of low blood pressure has not been fully ascertained, it can occur as a symptom of certain conditions such as Liver disease, Certain Hormonal imbalances, Pregnancy, Use of certain medications, Blood loss, Abnormal heart rhythm, Septicemia and Dehydration.
Different Types Of Low Blood Pressure
Depending on the cause of the sudden drop in blood pressure, it can be categorized into:
This type occurs when you stand up suddenly after lying or sitting for a long period of time.
Neurally Mediated Hypotension:
Occurring mostly in children and adolescents, this type of low blood pressure happens when there is a slight communication breech between the heart and the brain.
After eating a meal especially one with high carbohydrates, some people may experience a sudden drop in blood pressure. This kind of low blood pressure is often experienced by the elderly.
Natural Remedies For Low Blood Pressure
In most cases, low blood pressure is not life threatening and can be rectified with simple lifestyle changes. Some natural remedies that can help in the treatment of low blood pressure include the following:
- Increase your sodium intake: Add a little more salt in your meals as sodium helps to increase the rate at which the heart pumps blood.
- Drink plenty of water: When you are properly hydrated, there will be increased blood pressure and blood flow.
- Elevate your head as you sleep: Ensure that your head is in a slightly elevated position when you sleep. A good comfortable pillow will help you achieve this.
- Avoid standing for long: Try not to stand in a particular position for long periods of time.
- Smaller rations of food: Eat smaller portions of foods at a time with little carbohydrates.
- Compression stockings help: Wearing of compression stockings can also reduce the occurrence of a sudden drop in blood pressure.
- Seek medical advice: Speak with a doctor about your condition and symptoms so that you can be given appropriate medication.
In most cases, low blood pressure may be resolved without the use of any form of medication. However, it can also be life threatening and an indication of some other underlying medical condition. Connecting with a medical doctor as well as other medical personnel can help in the proper management of the symptoms.
When you register on our cloud based EMR, you will have an opportunity to stay connected and communicate with doctors online. At the doctor’s discretion and at your convenience, appointments can be scheduled to have your vitals examined. Log on to Sehat Cloud today to enjoy cloud based healthcare solution and regulate your blood pressure in the process.